The Ocean Decade at Oceanology International Americas 2023: leading the science, data, technology and skills we need for the ocean we want
Engaging sessions at OiA 2023 reinforced awareness of the Ocean Decade among industry stakeholders, shared knowledge and best practice, and discussed the collaboration and support required from the private sector to further the goals of the Ocean Decade.
15 March 2023
The Oceanology International Americas Conference (OiA) in San Diego, which showcases innovative ocean technology solutions and expertise to mainly government and industry attendees, wrapped up on 16 February 2023. For the first time, the Ocean Decade featured prominently in the conference programme during two dedicated sessions.
In the first session, a distinguished panel of experts discussed how the Ocean Decade is working to deliver the science, technology and skills of the future. The session speakers included:
– Nicole LeBoeuf, Assistant Administrator, NOAA
– Margaret Leinen, Director, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Co-Chair of the Ocean Decade Advisory Board
– Dr Jyotika Virmani, Executive Director, Schmidt Ocean Institute
– Kate Wing, Executive Director, Intertidal Agency, Co-Chair of the Ocean Decade Data Coordination Group
– Dr Dawn Wright, Chief Scientist, ESRI