- Federal republic bounded on the north by Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and the Atlantic Ocean; on the east by the Atlantic Ocean; on the south by Uruguay; on the west by Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and Peru; and on the northwest by Colombia.
- Land: 8,456,510 sq km
Note: includes Arquipelago de Fernando de Noronha, Atol das Rocas, Ilha da Trindade, Ilhas Martin Vaz, and Penedos de Sao Pedro e Sao Paulo
- Water: 55,455 sq km
- Land: 8,456,510 sq km
- 7,491 km
- Maritime claims:
- Contiguous zone: 24 NM
- Territorial sea: 12 NM
- Continental shelf: 200 NM or to edge of the continental margin
- Exclusive economic zone: 200 NM
- Natural resources:
- Bauxite, gold, iron ore, manganese, nickel, phosphates, platinum, tin, biodiversity, uranium, petroleum, hydropower, timber
- Population: 182,032,604
Note: Brazil took a count in August 2000, which reported a population of 169,799,170; that figure was about 3.3% lower than projections by the US Census Bureau, and is close to the implied underenumeration of 4.6% for the 1991 census; estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2003 est.)
- Nationality: Noun: Brazilian(s); Adjective: Brazilian
- Ethnic groups: white (includes Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish) 55%, mixed white and black 38%, black 6%, other (includes Japanese, Arab, Amerindian) 1%
- Religions: Roman Catholic (nominal) 80%
- Languages: Portuguese (official), Spanish, English, French
- Country name: Conventional long form: Federative Republic of Brazil; Conventional short form: Brazil
- Government type: federative republic
- Capital: Brasilia
- Administrative divisions: 26 states (estados, singular - estado) and 1 federal district* (distrito federal); Acre, Alagoas, Amapa, Amazonas, Bahia, Ceara, Distrito Federal*, Espirito Santo, Goias, Maranhao, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, Minas Gerais, Para, Paraiba, Parana, Pernambuco, Piaui, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Norte, Rio Grande do Sul, Rondonia, Roraima, Santa Catarina, Sao Paulo, Sergipe, Tocantins
- International organization participation: AfDB, BIS, ECLAC, FAO, G-15, G-19, G-24, G-77, IADB, IAEA, IBRD, ICAO, ICC, ICCt, ICFTU, ICRM, IDA, IFAD, IFC, IFRCS, IHO, ILO, IMF, IMO, Interpol, IOC, IOM (observer), ISO, ITU, LAES, LAIA, Mercosur, NAM (observer), NSG, OAS, OPANAL, OPCW, PCA, RG, UN, UNCTAD, UNESCO, UNHCR, UNIDO, UNITAR, UNMISET, UNMOP, UNMOVIC, UNU, UPU, WCL, WCO, WFTU, WHO, WIPO, WMO, WToO, WTrO
- Inflation rate (consumer prices): 8.3% (2002)
- Industries: textiles, shoes, chemicals, cement, lumber, iron ore, tin, steel, aircraft, motor vehicles and parts, other machinery and equipment
- Agriculture - products: coffee, soybeans, wheat, rice, corn, sugarcane, cocoa, citrus; beef
- Exports: $59.4 billion f.o.b. (2002 est.)
- Exports - commodities: transport equipment, iron ore, soybeans, footwear, coffee, autos
- Imports: $46.2 billion f.o.b. (2002)
- Imports - commodities: machinery, electrical, and transport equipment, chemical products, oil
- Currency: real (BRL)
- Marine Affairs Policy
- Marine Science & Research Policy
- The Marine Science and Research Policy is in the process of elaboration under the guidance of the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Coastal Area Policy
- National Coastal Management Plan, implemented by the Ministry of Environment under the supervision of CIRM.
- Sectorial Plan for Sea Resources, implemented by CIRM.
- Environment Policy
- National Environmental Policy, implemented under the responsibility of the Ministry of Environment.
The activities concerned to IOC are, in Brazil, split into the organizations to follow:
- MINISTRY OF SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION (MCTI) - Ocean Science; and
- BRAZILIAN NAVY DIRECTORATE OF HYDROGRAPHY AND NAVIGATION (DHN) - Ocean Services, Ocean Mapping, NODC and further affairs concerned IODE.
Andrei Polejack, Coordinator for Ocean Science and Antarctica
Secretariat for R&D Policies and Programs - SEPED
Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation - MCTI
Esplanada dos Ministérios Bloco E Sala 233
70067-900 Brasília DF
Tel: +5561 2033 7612
Antonio Reginaldo PONTES LIMA JR.
Director of Hydrography and Navigation (DHN)
Rua Barão de Jaceguai, S/No.
Ponta da Armação
Niterói - RJ - Brazil
Tel: +5521 2189 3003
FAX: +5521 2189 3088
NATIONAL FOCAL POINT FOR IOCARIBE
Dr. Carlos Afonso Nobre
National Secretary for Science Policy and Research and Development Programmes
Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation
Esplanada dos Ministérios, Bloco E, sala 218
CEP - 70067-900 - Brasilia - Distrito Federal
Phone: +5567 2033 8128